Anna Netrebko is changing career direction.
"The thing is, my voice changed a lot—enormously," she told the Wall Street Journal (though the image above is the October 2012 cover of Russian Tatler. In case you didn't guess).
Out go the lighter, ingenue roles - the "inas" as Anna calls them, to be replaced by parts more suited to Anna's bigger, darker voice.
Here's what's on the cards:
- Tatiana in Eugene Onegin (the Met's 2013-14 season opener)
- Manon Lescaut (rumoured for Munich in 2014)
- Leonora in Il Trovatore
- the title role in Verdi's Giovanna d'Arco
- Lady Macbeth
- Elsa in Lohengrin (Dresden in 2016)
And these, she says, are definitely out:
- Desdemona in Otello
- Maria in Simon Boccanegra
- Madama Butterfly
- Suor Angelica
- Gilda in Rigoletto
- Gounod's Juliette
- Massenet's Manon